Tens of millions of people in the United States suffer from TMJ disorders. When left untreated, TMJ issues can have a negative effect on your everyday life. Here are a few things you should know about these conditions.
1. TMJ Issues Can Have Multiple Symptoms
When you have a TMJ problem, you may develop one symptom or multiple symptoms:
- Jaw pain and soreness
- Jaw muscle stiffness
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Frequent headaches
- Limit jaw movement
- Ear pain or pressure
- Vision issues
- Clicking or popping when opening or closing your jaw
2. Multiple Factors Can Contribute to TMJ Issues
Just as TMJ disorders can affect people in different ways, many things can contribute to this condition. You may have one or more of these factors:
- Autoimmune diseases
- Injuries to the jaw or near it
- Keeping your mouth open for extended periods of time
- Clenching or grinding your teeth
3. TMJ Can Be Treated
At our office, we can help you get relief from TMJ problems, particularly when they are related to teeth grinding or the alignment of your teeth. We can make a special oral appliance, that can prevent grinding and ease the pain associated with your TMJ disorder.
Schedule a consultation with one of our doctors. Call 254-401-0129 or to request an appointment at Starr General Dentistry in Waco, TX.